Motor Vehicle Accident Attorney
The ripple effects that a car accident has on you can reach into many areas of your life. From missing work to not being able to enjoy activities that you once did to having to deal with the loss of life, there are so many effects that last long after the wreck.
With such a burden to carry, recovering compensation and forging a path to healing is crucial. That is where Warren & Simpson comes in. With compassion for our clients and sharp skills in the courtroom, we fight for you every step of the way. Learn what the legal process looks like after being involved in a life-altering car accident below.
Unfortunately, thousands of injuries and deaths occur on the highways every year. The car, motorcycle, and truck accident attorneys at Warren & Simpson, P.C. are often called upon to investigate collisions involving two or more motor vehicles to determine whether our clients were injured due to the fault of another driver. Our attorneys are well educated in all aspects of the Rules of the Road and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
- The average Alabama driver has a greater than a one in three chance of being involved in a crash that results in an injury or fatality over their lifetime.
- In Alabama, a traffic crash was reported every 3 minutes and 18 seconds, according to the Alabama Department of Transportation.
- In 2019, 930 people were killed in 851 fatal crashes. For each fatality, there were 50 injuries.
- Over half of the fatal car crashes that took place in Alabama occurred at night (between dusk and dawn)
- Speeding is the number one contributing factor in fatal car accidents.
These are sobering statistics. However, lack of sobriety is one of the major causes of car accidents, along with speeding and distracted driving. All of these circumstances are avoidable. In their wake, they leave long-term impairment, permanent disability or death.
After a serious car accident, you need the services of a car accident attorney in Huntsville.
After a car accident, the driver who was not at-fault has three options:
- They may file a claim with their own insurance company.
- They may file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurer.
- They may file a personal injury lawsuit.
Insurance companies, including your own, want to pay as little as possible in compensation. An attorney knows a reasonable settlement value for the type of injuries suffered and your economic and non-economic losses. That’s why working with a skilled personal injury lawyer is the best course of action.
The statute of limitations in Alabama for filing a personal injury lawsuit after a car accident is two years from the accident date. Since crucial evidence can disappear, it is vital to contact a car accident attorney right away. Your attorney will handle all negotiations with the insurance company.
After being involved in an accident, it's typical to feel anxious and unsure of next steps. However, the actions you take after the accident influence the legal options you'll have later on.
If possible, take the following steps after a car accident:
- Alert the authorities. Always call 911 right away. Check to see if you or anyone else is hurt.
- Get contact information. Get the name, address, contact, and insurance information of the other driver.
- Gather evidence. Take photos of the accident scene, including your injuries, as well as road conditions, skid marks, and other evidence. Obtain the contact information of any eyewitnesses.
Because Alabama is one of the few states using a contributory negligence standard, a driver found partially at fault for an accident will not receive damages. Do not admit fault at the accident or to an insurance company. Instead contact a car accident attorney who can advocate on your behalf.
Seek immediate medical attention after a car accident if you have any injuries. Failing to do so may not only affect your health but can cause an insurance company to deny your claim. Waiting to seek treatment means the insurer may allege the car accident was not the source of your injury.
The effects of a car accident can impact a victim well into the future. This is why medical expenses directly related to an injury are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to compensation.
Damages may include:
- Medical expenses, current and future
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Loss of future income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
As you can see, future costs and non economic impacts can also factor into the damages. Each claim must be backed with evidence, which is why utilizing a knowledgeable car accident lawyer in Huntsville is crucial.
About Warren & Simpson
At Warren & Simpson, we handle all types of personal injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents. That includes accidents involving tractor-trailers, motorcycles, and wrongful death. Car accidents often involve catastrophic injuries, meaning the person will never fully recover. Such injuries include paralysis, amputation, and traumatic brain injury.
The lawyers at Warren & Simpson are recognized among the most successful courtroom lawyers in the nation. Our firm has been recognized by many national organizations and publications for its outstanding work. Our dedicated attorneys can help you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Contact a Car Accident Attorney in Huntsville
If you or someone you know was seriously injured in a car accident through no fault of their own, a car accident attorney in Huntsville at Warren & Simpson is there for you.
Call us at 256-539-7575 or submit our online form to arrange a free, confidential consultation. Our lawyers work on a contingency basis, so you do not pay a fee unless you receive compensation.